thinking about joining? please read on—
Membership of The Theosophical Society
We warmly welcome new members who are in sympathy with the Objects of the Theosophical Society. Members are not required to accept any particular teachings, or to surrender their beliefs; they may subscribe to any religion, or to none. As the result, we have an eclectic membership.
You can either join a Lodge/Branch, or else become a National member if you don’t live close enough to your nearest TS centre. Joining a Lodge/Branch has added benefits, such as access to an astonishingly good lending and reference library.
Membership dues vary from location to location, as do requirements for intending members. So please check with your nearest Lodge/Branch.
Intending Lodge/Branch members should download the form and take it to that branch; or contact that branch directly.
Our Australian locations can be found HERE.
Intending national members may complete the application form and email it to us along with proof of payment of the annual dues $50 or $45 for those holding a Commonwealth Pension Card, plus the one-off $5 joining fee. Membership applications have to be approved by the national executive committee which meets bi-monthly.
Once your application to join the TS in Australia has been accepted you become a member of a three-tiered Society. Your membership extends locally, nationally and internationally. If you would like to see the Rules of The TS in Australia they can be found HERE.
Benefits of Membership of the Theosophical Society
- Many of our members appreciate the long-term value of belonging to a society which stands for unity rather than division, free exploration of Divine Wisdom with like-minded people, and which holds a special regard for the Sacred in the midst of a materialistic world.
- Engage actively with other members at national events.
- Annual National Conventions are a highlight on the Australian TS calendar, held during January in a different State each year, for members only. They take place in university colleges in a relaxed atmosphere. Conventions provide an opportunity for members to spend quality time together. The week-long convention include talks, discussions, workshops, outings and cultural programmes.
- Access to a growing collection of members' only material on this website.
- Meet members from around Australia and elsewhere in the Indo-Pacific region at the triennial Indo-Pacific Federation conferences held in different countries.
- Attend the International Convention held each year at the international headquarters in Chennai (Madras) India.
- Attend a World Congress held in a different country approximately every seven years. The 2018 Congress was in Singapore; and the previous one in Rome.
- Enjoy Schools of Theosophy, and retreats at our two centres located at Springbrook, south-eastern Queensland, and at Canyonleigh in the Southern Highlands of New South Wales. Both centres are located in serene natural areas, perfect for study and meditation.
- Attend members’ meetings, talks, discussions, seminars and workshops in TS centres.
- Discover our exceptional libraries membership of which is included with your Lodge/Branch membership; or for National Members there is the National Members' Lending Library.
- Receive the Quarterly Theosophy in Australia as part of your annual membership subscription.
- Receive a monthly letter from the national president for 22 months as a new member.
Undecided about joining, but interested?
Have a good look around this website for more information. You are welcome to attend public meetings at your nearest TS centre, or join a theosophical library if there is one nearby, and get to know some of the members. Or you can attend some of our great events. Check out the programme of a Lodge/Branch near you.
Check out our LEAFLETS on Theosophy and Science; Theosophy and Islam; Psychism and Spirituality; some great quotes for those in mourning and much more.